Some sites were developed as early as 1906 by local industrial companies
To provide mechanical and electrical power to their operations and the surrounding towns.
The facilities changed ownership several times over the years. In 2007, Abitibi Consolidated Hydro Limited Partnership (ACH LP) was formed. The new company was created as a distinct entity with the goal of providing renewable reliable energy to its customers and the Province of Ontario.
The generating stations continued to be operated locally until 2008, when ACH LP began an $18M project to upgrade and automate the stations control systems to allow remote operation. The automation project was successfully completed in 2010 and full control of all 48 generators, and the associated transmission assets, was transferred to the Oshawa Control Center. In 2011 ACH LP was sold to a new group of Canadian private investors, and the company began operating as H2O Power.
H2O Power continues to invest in local communities. We have opened a new office in Fort Frances, Ontario and Iroquois Falls, Ontario. Current major projects include major upgrades at Kenora and Island Falls generating stations, as well as ongoing projects at each site.
In February 2016, H2O Power acquired two run-of-river hydroelectric facilities in Pennsylvania, Allegheny 8 (13.6 MW) and Allegheny 9 (17.9 MW). The two projects comprise 31.5 MW of baseload capacity located on the Allegheny River.
Our Leadership Team
Strong leadership has been the key to our steady growth and to the safe, reliable management of one of our planet’s most valuable resources.