Reporting to VP, Operations, the Operations Manager is responsible for the safe, day-to-day operation of all H2O Power managed generating stations, substations, transmission lines and control dams located in Iroquois Falls & Island Falls, Ontario. The Operations Manager provides support and guidance to trades staff and oversees the maintenance activities related to all aspects of the power generation and transmission infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to, the electrical systems, mechanical systems, hydraulic systems, and water control equipment.
Duties and responsibilities
- As an effective manager, creates a climate of engagement and leads performance of direct reports through setting goals and expectations that align with H2O Priorities & Goals; appraising employee performance and communicating results and related actions required on a regular basis; coaching team members and providing support to the creation and execution of employee development plans; and, where required, implementing performance improvement plans.
- Develops and support strong teamwork, communication, and personal skills with direct reports and within the overall senior management team.
- Ensures the safety and security of the assets by following prescribed standard operating procedures (SOP’s) with regards to predictive and preventive maintenance plans on all systems associated with the generating assets and water control
- Manages the maintenance budget for their area and oversees the safe execution of the developed planned outage program for each year. Management of the maintenance budgets includes setting priorities, making in-year adjustments as required and working with the other Operations Manager, as required, to ensure that all schedule and budget targets are met for H2O Power as a
- Responsible for the safe execution of Capital and Maintenance projects assigned to them. This includes the development of scopes of work, the selection of qualified contractors, if required, the supervision of the work, i.e., contract management, and the effective and efficient conclusion of the project. The position is responsible for all three of the major aspects of a project which include safety, schedule, and
Working conditions/Travel Requirements
- Frequent periods are spent standing or sitting in the same location with some opportunity to move about. Occasionally required to stoop or lift light material or equipment. Climbing stairs is a common task.
- Occasional exposure to factors such as temperature extremes, moving machinery and noise which cause noticeable discomfort.
- Regular travel to outlying facilities. Occasional travel when needed outside the immediate area.
- The Operations Manager directly supervises 5-7 tradesman/woman whose jobs are largely technical in nature.
- Supervise consultants, contract employees, temporary staff, and students.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in an industrial setting, preferably hydroelectric generation.
- A degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering is an asset or a qualified tradesman with relevant experience in hydroelectric generation.
- Experience working in a hydroelectric generating station.
- Experience with water flow control equipment.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Good communication skills required both written and verbal.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Understanding of water management plans is considered an asset.
- Prior experience in power industry or heavy industry.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs including Excel.
- Must possess a valid G driver’s license and have a good driving record
- As a condition of employment, all new employees must be fully vaccinated and provide satisfactory proof, unless approved for an exemption based on a protected ground in the Ontario Human Rights Code (“the Code”).
Applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume outlining your interests and qualifications via our Talent Portal.
H2O Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer; promoting accessibility and inclusivity at work and offering accommodation for applicants as required and requested.